CREATIVE RESEARCH IN FILM SCHOOLS
CONFERENCE AND WORKSHOPS / MEXICO CITY / APRIL 25-27, 2018
Universidad Iberoamericana – Ciudad de México
Centro Universitario de Estudios Cinematográficos (UNAM)
Centro de Capacitación Cinematográfica
We look forward to seeing you this April in Mexico City for the CIBA-CILECT Conference and Workshops centered around creative research. The theme for this event emerges from questions posed by members at previous conferences regarding the ways in which film programs can contribute to cinema praxis through creative research, as well as the recent growth of post-graduate degrees offered in the region. The aim is to present a regional position regarding the pedagogical and institutional challenges facing teaching and applied research in the fields of film, sound, and audiovisual production.
The event will take place April 25-27, 2018 in Mexico City. There will be three hosting schools: Universidad Iberoamericana-Ciudad de México, Centro Universitario de Estudios Cinematográficos (UNAM) and Centro de Capacitación Cinematográfica. Of the many possible approaches to creative research, this event will center around three fundamental axes:
- Creative research that results in audiovisual productions.
- Research that uses audiovisual production as a methodology or a source of empirical data.
- Research that centers around technique and innovation in audiovisual production methods.
Aditionally, workshops will be formulated based on the following themes:
- Ethics and representation: gender, race, otherness, exclusion.
- Transmedia and its impact on narrative
- Institutional challenges facing post-graduate programs in film and audiovisual production.
These themes are not exclusive or absolute. Presentations centered on other themes will be accepted in as much as they can dialogue with these themes through the three axes mentioned above.
The conference will feature keynote speeches, then discussion groups, followed by specialized workshops in the afternoons. A summary document will be produced at the end of each day to catalogue the achievements and ideas learned throughout the day. Official languages for the event are Spanish, Portuguese, and English. Professional simultaneous translation will be available for keynote speeches from English to Spanish. Abstracts will be translated to English and informal translation through volunteers is provided for workshops and panels. This will promote dialogue between colleagues of different regions.
CALL FOR PAPERS:
Each day will feature two discussion groups guided by a moderator and a scribe. Practical and applied workshops dealing with specific aspects of creative research will take place in the afternoons.
CILECT members are invited to submit their contributions for discussion groups or workshops with a 300-word summary and a curricular sinopsis of 100 words. These can be submitted in Spanish, Portuguese or English. The deadline for submissions has been extended to March 20th, 2018, BUT AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST SHOULD BE SENT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND NO LATER THAN MARCH 15TH TO ENSURE A PLACE IN ONE OF THE OFFICIAL HOTELS. They can be sent to: email@example.com
Discussion groups will adhere to the following format:
- A three to five page presentation must be submitted by April 6 to be shared with group members.
- Panelists will have 10 minutes to present oral, written and/or audiovisual material.
- Three panelists will present consecutively followed by a discussion (among panelists) overseen by the moderator and scribe.
- Immediately afterwards, three more panelists will present for the second discussion group following the same format.
- At the end of the second set of presentations, there will be a question and answer period open to attendees in which panelists, moderators and scribes from both groups will participate.
Workshops will adhere to the following format:
- 90 – 120 minutes in length.
- Technical requirements must be resolved following approval of submissions. Workshops will be located in different campuses depending on these requirements.
- Participants may choose between two or more workshops at a time.
The conference fee is 400 EURO, which includes accomodation, meals and transportation to the conference as detailed below. CILECT members from regions outside of CIBA may submit a request for a fee waiver. Additionally, each CIBA member school is entitled to one fee waiver, covered by the organizing schools. The conference package includes:
- Hotel accomodations from April 24- 28, for one person at Hotel La Casona in the Roma neighborhood. http://www.hotellacasona.com.mx/
- Breakfast at the hotel for April 25 – 28. Lunch at hosting schools during the days of the event. Dinners for April 24 – 27.
- Airport/Hotel transportations.
- Transportation from the hotel to school campuses.
Those participants able to secure their accomodation on their own should contact the organizers to agree on a reduced fee according to their needs.
In order to promote discussion amongst the participants to the conference, we strongly suggest everyone interested in coming to present a contribution, either a presentation or a workshop. If you require a letter of invitation and/or confirmation, we can gladly provide them.
We hope to see you soon in Mexico City!